1) Her STEM Story started with her brother's disability and her wanting to understand it and try to find a way to assist in making his life easier.
2) She has been able to bring her STEM education and her imaginative and creative nature to her work.
3) She has taught high school and at the collegiate level. She loves working with students to understand how the brain works. It is her life's work.
4) She has been able to pair Maker Spaces and Chemistry together and now the Metaverse and Science together.
5) Her work with the Metaverse and VR is inspiring others throughout the country and is indeed inspiring the next generation of STEM professionals to follow in her footsteps.
Dr. Muhsinah Morris Bio
Muhsinah L. Holmes Morris, Ph.D., is the academic program director and assistant professor of chemistry. Morris received a B.S. in chemistry from Clark Atlanta University with honors (cum laude) and an M.S. and Ph.D. in chemistry from Emory University (biomolecular division). Her research encompasses working in the Morehouse Makerspace Exploration Center, 3D Printing Specialized Laboratory Equipment for those with Autism and other Developmental Disorders. She is the PI of the Morris Research and Innovation Group, where they research and develop technologically innovative solutions for those with autism. Dr. Morris won the 2021 Vulcan Teaching Award of Excellence and launched her Advanced Inorganic Chemistry course in virtual reality in the spring of 2021 in the digital twin campus created by VictoryXR on the Engage Platform. She is a pioneer in this space as the chemistry content in VR is limited to non-existent. Wife to a gamer and mom to five sons, she is an inventive autism mom, a volunteer advocacy ambassador, National Community Advisory Council member, and grant review committee member for Autism Speaks. Her purpose in life is to create inclusivity in STEAAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, agriculture, and math). She believes that VR provides a pathway for creating that inclusion through immersive education, vocational rehabilitation services, and therapeutic experiences.
You can find out more information about Dr. Toshia here:
STEMming in Stilettos Youtube Channel: https://youtu.be/xAc25J7UH9A