1. She is serious about what she does. She is the real deal and believes with her whole heart that she's doing the good work needed to turn the tides in STEM.
2. On Engineering and Technology- There is an inherent relationship between the two. There are many people out there really trying to separate the two. Even within a tech field there is some time ( industrial, process) engineering happening. They go together!
3. Make the BOLD move. She believes that bold moves are necessary to move yourself forward. Don't wait for others to do it for you. Invest in yourself.
4. Focus on Equity. She believes that the focus should be on equity. We can achieve equity by getting people the skills need to get ahead in the world.
5. Don't be afraid. Well, if you are going to be bold, you can't be afraid or be afraid but do it anyway.
Valarie Mackey Bio:
Valarie W. Mackey has more than 20 years of experience at the intersection of Technology and Talent. Her passion for expanding the capability of people and companies coupled with her technology skillset inspired this Fortune 100 Leader turned entrepreneur to establish a company that is transforming the Technology Talent Landscape.
Valarie launched her career as a Consultant with Ernst and Young. While at EY, she was on the forefront of emerging technologies, designing, developing, and deploying cutting edge systems to clients across distinct industries and domains. She later had a progressive and impactful 12-year career with The Coca-Cola Company. As a Technology Leader at the $37 Billion multinational beverage giant, Valarie orchestrated the delivery of international customer centric technology platforms averaging $50MM annually for enterprise functions including Human Resources, Legal, Sustainability, Public Affairs, and Communications. In addition to business enablement through technology, she created and executed strategies to enhance the employee pipeline and prepared talent for succession planning.
Her results oriented, forward thinking mindset now fuels her success as Founder and CEO of WrightNow Solutions, a Talent Development Consultancy where she has complete responsibility for operations. Because the future of technology innovation begins with changing the workforce that inspires that innovation, Valarie introduces underrepresented populations to growing, thriving technology careers by providing education, certification opportunities and unprecedented access to leading corporations. Her holistic approach provides learning experiences for company leaders to increase Emotional IQ while focusing on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. This has resulted in companies improving their access to and retention of talent with proven ROI while increasing the salaries offered to non-traditional entry level talent by an average of 480%.
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/stemminginstilettos)