Episode Main Points
1) She has always been into computer programming and Information Systems.
2) She went to Law School because she got a bad grade in a Business Law class and thought "I'm not going to let this beat me."
3) Her definition of what a cybercrime is is on point. Gotta listen in to get it.
4) She calls herself a cyber defender. She wants to stop cyber crimes from happening and know how devastating they can be. She really wants us all to be safe online.
5) She has worked hard in her career and believes that integrity can carry you a long way. Mentorship is important.
6) Don't get attached to titles. Your journey should coincide with who you are. You shouldn't have to turn yourself into a pretzel for a title.
Mary Chaney Bio:
Mary N. Chaney, Esq., CISSP, CIPP/US, has over 25 years of progressive experience within the fields of Law, Information Security, Privacy and Risk Management. She graduated from Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio with her B.S.B.A in Information Systems and received her J.D. degree from Thurgood Marshall School of Law.
Ms. Chaney spent several years practicing law in Washington, DC focusing primarily on anti-trust and intellectual property rights infringement cases. She then transitioned to serve her country by becoming a Special Agent for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) where she investigated cybercrime and served as their Information Systems Security Officer.
Ms. Chaney obtained her Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) certification in 2008 and her Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) certification in 2019. In her corporate career, she has held senior level information security roles with Comcast, Johnson & Johnson and GE Capital.
Voluntarily, Ms. Chaney is the Chairman and CEO of Minorities in Cybersecurity, Inc. which focuses on leadership and career development for minorities and women. Ms. Chaney also holds advisory board roles for the Cyber Law Consortium, Post University and ChickTECH. In each of her volunteer endeavors Ms. Chaney strives to improve the cyber security and privacy community by ensuring both students and professionals have the resources they need to excel in their careers.
Professionally, Ms. Chaney owns her own cyber security law practice, The Law Offices of Mary N. Chaney, P.L.L.C., The Cyber Security Law Firm of Texas, where she specializes in helping, the Board of Directors, CIO, CISO and General Counsel of any company, understand each other and to legally protect the enterprise from cyber security and privacy risk.
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/stemminginstilettos)